At the 2016 Belfast Creative Coalition Annual Meeting, Julie Richard, Executive Director of the Maine Arts Commission, shared a presentation on cultural planning. According to Richard, cultural planning is ‘a process through which cultural priorities are identified to enhance a community or region’s cultural development’. This, according to Richard, would be something that the Waldo County area could successfully do.
- According to the Maine Arts Commission, cultural planning:
- Supports community empowerment through community involvement in the process
- Identifies what cultural assets exist and what is desired
- Helps develop partnerships
- Develops strong policy- making based on a solid research foundation
- Improves communication & cooperation among arts groups
- Integrates arts & culture in community and economic development
- Improves visibility of artists and organizations
To read more about cultural planning from the Maine Arts Commission, click the link to Julie Richard’s presentation below:
And here is another cultural planning resource from Arts Now:
Let us know what you think about how this could work in Waldo County! Email us at email@example.com.